Saturday, January 26, 2008

And Not such good films...

For every Syriana, there is a 300! I really don't know why I kept on watching 300 - it was formulaic, un-inspiring, pretentious and if the actors had been any more wooden, they would have been called Pinocchio. All battle scenes were shown in slow motion - Slow motion is fine in small doses, but if you use it too much, you lose the impact - I felt like I was watching a cartoon, and, I don't know about you, but I don't care if cartoon characters live or die. So, the fate of King Leonidas and his men didn't matter to me one bit. And I found it quite irritating that all Persian men had to be black - maybe it was designed so that an 8-year old could differentiate between the goodies and the baddies, but surely, that can't be historically correct! I don't know much about that part of Greek history, but I know that Persia is Iran, and last I heard, not in Africa!
And don't get me going about King Leonidas's wife

Ok, now I've just watched a bit of the website, and I get it - it's based on a graphic novel, and that's why every scene is completely stylised! Mmm. I still don't like it - Like all Belgians, I like a good graphic novel, but I don't think it adapts well to the film medium. I would have prefered an animated movie instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment