Monday, July 30, 2007

Coup de coeur - Keith Jarrett

On Friday, John Kelly (on the JK Ensemble show, Lyric FM) played this gorgeous piece of music that caught my ear. I often listen to the daily replay of the JK Ensemble on the RTE Radio website (click on Lyric FM in the Listen Live section, then pick the JK Ensemble link in the window that opens - you'll need Real Player to stream the music - follow the instructions on the RTE website or download it from the www.real.com website - there is a free version, which works just fine, but it's sometimes hard to find it on their website).

I really enjoy John Kelly's mix of music - some classical, some jazz, some ethnic, and even the occasional Jacques Brel. It's a 2-hour daily show, and well worth listening to. Anyways, on Friday, he played this piano solo improvisation track that I found beautiful. I've been playing it non-stop since Saturday (the replay is a day after the original broadcast).

Another good thing about the RTE Lyric FM website is that they publish the playlist for their past programs, so if you hear something that you like, you can find out what it is. And I found that the piece is by Keith Jarrett, from an album called The Koln Concert, which is apparently one of the best-selling jazz albums of all times. Well, not being a jazz fan, I had never heard of him, but I'm going to go and buy that album!

If you're intrigued, have a look on YouTube (just put in Keith Jarrett in the search field), where you'll find some videos of some of his concerts. Or check it out in the iTunes store.

No comments:

Post a Comment