Tuesday, August 16, 2022

Trying tools and techniques

I need to paint more, but I also need to draw more. The two go hand in hand if I want to improve. So I actually have a schedule so I make sure to allow time in the evenings to focus on what I need to do. I haven't followed the schedule much lately, and I'm feeling the lack of practise impacting my work!

All drawn from life, except the portraits, which were done from a photo I took recently.

This one was done using the Cretacolor watersoluble pencils, which are absolutely gorgeous. Background painted with Deep Deep Light watercolour dot samples I got in London. The items I drew were three gifts given to me by Brendan, Cathy and Uma. 


Let's face it, I will never be able to sketch Sumi well. Or any cat for that matter. But the grumpy face is not far from the truth! Maybe I should try to draw him from photos as an exercise to understand proportions, volumes and shading?  Or I will never be able to draw cats ever?



These portraits were done after watching a video of The Addictive Sketcher in action at the Urban Sketchers London event. If you would like to see more work by Adebanji Alade, head to his instagram page. I wasn't at his workshop, but I was inspired just watching the video. I can only imagine what it was like to learn directly from him!



No comments:

Post a Comment