Sunday, August 28, 2022

Glasnevin Cemetery

It is said that it holds about 1.5 million residents! Glasnevin Cemetery's population is larger than the population of Dublin itself! And on a warm day at the end of the summer, it is perfectly peaceful, after a brief brouhaha in commemoration of the death of Arthur Griffith and Michael Collins. The past is still central in Irish life and politics. Thankfully I did find parking a little further along, and I settled in a quiet spot, not far to the path to the Botanic Gardens. I did three sketches from one location, beside the resting place of Lucy, who died aged 21 in 1841. I don't know anything about Lucy, but I felt it important to honour her memory with my sketches. It's a lovely spot, with lots of trees, and not too many visitors. RIP, Lucy.





No comments:

Post a Comment