Saturday, July 09, 2022

By the canal

Trying to apply direct watercolour to urban sketching with a difficult subject. It worked for part of it. But for the building on the left, I had to go back with markers to try and make sense of it. My favourite bit of this sketch? The building under construction in the middle and the giant pride flag marking pride month. 

And of course, this is another area of Dublin where old Georgian buildings are being replaced by blocks of offices. There used to be a small office block in this area before, where Visio had their offices. I used to visit there quite often when I was a project manager working for a localisation subcontractor. Our offices were just around the corner, and I could walk to the meeting. The views from their offices were amazing. Funny that's all I remember! All these projects that took so many years of my life, and I really don't remember much from them! I have one memory that's coming back to me, and I'm not even sure if it was in those offices. But Visio had a new guy looking after their marketing material, and it turned out to be an old friend of mine, Bertrand! He was good friend with my flatmates when I first moved to Ireland and we had many memories of drunken parties! It was great to work with him!


After I was finished with the first sketch, I sat outside a pub and picked up my markers and had fun with all the interesting shapes around me. I finished this one at home, as the showers were becoming more frequent and heavier, so I had to retreat indoors.


Here's how both sketches looked like on location. It took less than half an hour afterwards to make them into what I consider finished sketches. I know that to some people, that's still very much unfinished. But each to their own.



I forgot to take Urban Sketcher shots, but I did get some photos on location. 



No comments:

Post a Comment