Saturday, April 30, 2022

Between Stephen's Street and Longford Street

Another productive time on the streets of Dublin, exploring and documenting the Dublin I love, the Dublin that's disappearing, replaced by bland buildings and international brands.

At this stage, I'm not sure if I'm still on George's Street or if it's become Aungier Street. 

But my first priority is to go in to Needful Things and ask if I can sketch. The answer is yes, and the gentleman there even offers me a chair. It's an antiques store. The window alone is worth sketching, full of jewelry, masks, books, vases. But I have the perfect spot. I can see the display cabinet with Asian vases and plates, and as my pen moves across the page, I connect it with the cool chair (it's bright red in reality) and the masks displayed on the wall. There's a Mark Hamill mask, done during the filming of the first Star Wars I think. These are all live masks, not death masks. They are weird and wonderful at the same time, and slightly disturbing, reminiscent of Game of Thrones of course. On top of the cabinet is what looks like an ancient camera. It's actually a projector. It was the first thing that caught my eye, and where I started my sketch, as I often do.

If you're in Dublin, pop in and enjoy all the wonderful objects on display and for sale.


A closer look if you're interested:




When I got out of Needful Things, I crossed the road and looked back down towards the Georges Street Arcade. I did a quick sketch with my Koh-i-Noor magic pencil.
This sketch includes the George's Street Arcade, the communications tower behind it, which is actually situated near the Stag's Head, but I had never noticed it there before, as you can't see if from the street level. On the other side of the road, there's a bland building with shops, then The Long Hall pub (I don't think I've ever been inside - I must remedy that), and then another beautiful building with non-descript shops on the ground floor. So many treasures in that one short stretch!


The more I sketch, the more energy for sketching I have. The sun had come out and I sat beside a closed shop to sketched Bao Bun and Mint nails & beauty across the way. I worked in direct watercolour. And added a little bit of ink and white pen when I got home to bring it all together. And of course I went in and got myself a gorgeous bao bun. I chose the walnut mushroom version, with a mild sauce combo. Delicious. I must find an excuse to go there again! Not sure about getting my nails done, though. I'm more a natural kind when it comes to my nails!


Close-ups:


Chew Brew Bubble Tea Room was my next stop. Well, I had never heard of bubble tea before. I think their audience might be forty years younger than me, so that's my excuse. I was disappointed that they didn't actually have anywhere for customers to sit, but I managed a quick basic sketch while standing at the corner while the lady behind the counter was preparing my cookies and cream with tapioca pearls - essentially a cold hot chocolate with these bubbles that pop into your mouth as you drink through the straw. If there wasn't so much plastic packaging (cup, lid and straw), I could see myself becoming their best customer. I want to try all the matcha latte options next time!!


On-location photo in Needful Things:



2 comments: