Saturday, April 23, 2022

Clanbrassil Street and Emmet Bridge

My lack of focus also translates into my urban sketches. Three sketches done in the one session. Done in completely different styles. It's like I'm suffering from a split-personality disorder. But I was happy while sketching, so that's something I guess.

Direct watercolour of cones by the grand canal at Emmet Bridge. The area behind them is a fuel depot and there is a courtyard with a house. I guess if they have staff in the courtyard, they have to have the cones there for safety. You wouldn't want to reverse a fuel truck into the canal, now would you!

I just loved the happy moving reflections. It was a blustery sunny afternoon with clouds and the reflections kept moving, as they do.


This was actually sketched before the one above. It's like I needed to do a precise sketch before I could allow myself to go wild with colour! It's not that precise actually. The house on the left has 5 windows, not three, but I had to fit it all on the page!! Another house that will disappear soon, to be replaced by a building without character or charm. The upstairs has broken windows and looks abandoned. The downstairs is currently a massage parlour. I did not go in to check what type.


Last sketch of the afternoon. I just loved the spent daffodils and the blue-green flower pot and the reflections.



 


2 comments: