Saturday, February 26, 2022

Poppies

Everything I'm painting seems pointless right now, with war raging on the European continent. 

But I painted this a few weeks ago, and I will continue to post, and paint, seeking solace in art.

Poppies make me happy. Painting them, maybe not so much, but I keep on trying!

I was working from a photo I took in Montséret in the Corbières a few years ago, in May or June, when fields that are not used for vineyards are full of them. They are much more orange than what I've painted, but it doesn't matter. I was just doodling.

This one is a quarter sheet  (Langton cold press)


The two below were done in an Etchr Perfect Sketchbook. The paint remained wet a lot longer, enabling me to paint soft hills and happy flowers. I was surprised when I moved to the single watercolour paper quarter sheet straight after, to see that my paint was drying a lot quicker. With watercolours, you have to keep your eyes open all the time!





I'm thinking of moving to a half sheet, so I took a few notes about pigments and composition and values.


No comments:

Post a Comment