Saturday, January 22, 2022

Mini-break sketches

We were lucky to be able to escape the January gloom for a few days, going to Inchydoney down in West Cork. Blessed with the weather, we walked on the beach a lot, and went for a little drive down to Galley Head to enjoy the power of the Atlantic, with its waves crashing against land. I managed to sketch a good bit, but had to abandon my plans for watercolours, as I had forgotten my little chair, and it was too much of a struggle to stand, hold my A4 book, with the palette clipped and my jar of water on a rock. The sand was too wet to sit. Still, I did manage two on the first morning!


This one was done in a portrait smaller (B5?) sketchbook. More manageable, but as you can see it was taking forever for the paint to dry.


So after that, I just used a couple of pens, adding marker colour later on. This one was done on a pre-painted background, a technique I want to work on at some stage. So handy for the winter!



A few from Galley Head, a wild little spot, with water gushing through a blowhole around high tide! I added colour marker when I got home.





Here are the sketches as done on location




On the last day, we took it easy, sitting around the lounge, going for walks on the beach right in front of the hotel, and I got to sketch some more!

The waiter in the lounge, a young French man by the name of Timothy (I think they recycle the name tags!) commented on my drawing. He likes to draw too. I recommended he makes contact with Urban Sketchers Sydney when he goes there!



Done on the beach while my other half was flying his drone.


Done from the hotel room balcony.


(He's better looking than that!)

One last sketch in the morning on the beach before we head home!



And I forgot to add the Urban Sketcher pictures!






No comments:

Post a Comment