Friday, January 07, 2022

Composition for boats -where is my pencil thumbnail??

I know I know. I'm supposed to start with pencil thumbnails to figure out shapes and values. But you know me. Give me juicy watercolours any time! That's how I operate. It works for me. I'm not in any rush!

For this first set, I just used whatever paints were in my palette. The usual suspects. They always work. 

 

This is my favourite of the two. I used Lilac watercolour (Is it Lilac? It's not Lavender from Daniel Smith, but it's also an opaque pigment). Then I also added white gouache. Which is ideal for all those railings and riggings. I don't know what those things are called! And I do like the almost square shape. It works well for the composition, with the little sailboat at the front leading the eye in to all the big fishing boats.


Then I did some more experiments with different colours. I know I had Alizarin Crimson, and also Cerulean Blue Chromium. I can't remember the other two colours.


And then I went more abstract and had fun with it. It's a long journey. I have the time.



No comments:

Post a Comment