Monday, January 17, 2022

Flow

Earlier this month, I was resisting the idea of setting goals for the year. Instead of goals, I want achievable actions, so I have prepared a monthly and weekly calendar, to help me explore different aspects of my art practise in a deliberate fashion. This day was flow. Quick (well, not 5 minutes, more like 15 minutes each) watercolour thumbnails are very satisfying, even when they are wonky. So I can use these as a confidence booster to tell myself that I can paint. Even if I forget about proportions a lot of the time (that car looks very small beside the door, don't you think?)!
(Each piece is about postcard size)
On the other hand, I have just read in a Charles Reid book that a painting that is delightful in a small size will look just empty when you move to a larger version. Still, it's good to build my confidence bit by bit! It's a bit like driving (for me anyway) - if I don't drive for a while, I get a bit anxious about it. But then I have to remind myself that I drive in the middle of rush-hour traffic every day, not a bother. Then I'm alright!

 





No comments:

Post a Comment