Saturday, January 29, 2022

Brushstrokes, and experiments

The fact that I haven't jumped to half sheet this year yet is not a good sign. I think I have simply picked a subject that I am not ready for. The subtle shading of the shutters on the white wall, the light and shade, the car, it's all getting too much.

Well, time for one more practise!

I love the darker shadows under the shutters, but I think I'm jumping values too much. The second line on the left looks better. And note to self, the windows will follow the perspective line, but the slightly open shutters go up against it. Still, I have to remember that the starting point of the next shutter to the right is down the perspective line. That's a lot to remember for my aging brain!


At this point, I decided I needed to try something different. So I decided to paint from a photo I took down in Inchydoney a couple of weeks ago. It's a while since I've painted skies!
Although the original is not quite as bright as this, it's still too bright. More cloud experimentation needed to get back to where I was with clouds a few years ago!


Nothing is working out quite as I want! Deep breath! Trying different brushes. And definitely works better with fresh paint!


No comments:

Post a Comment