Friday, October 22, 2021

Stones - St Audoen's Church

Art is good for the soul, even when the resulting sketch doesn't look like much to anyone but me!

We were at St Audoen's church, the only remaining medieval parish church in Dublin! I've sketched the columns inside its graveyard before, a challenging exercise in perspective! But this time, I sat under a big tree, as I knew it was going to rain. And rain it did - 3 heavy showers in the time I was sketching. And even with the shelter of the tree, I had to open my umbrella to protect my sketch. 

So all the squiggles in this sketch are trees, the overhanging branches blocking my view, and all the smaller trees between me and the church.

And in case you're wondering what the stamped squares are about, well it was Féile na gCloch, the festival of stone on Inis Oírr, and I thought these irregular squares would allude to the stones. It doesn't really work, but they were on my blank page, and I worked with what I had!




No comments:

Post a Comment