Tuesday, October 12, 2021

Barn with green doors - thumbnails

With 4 watercolour thumbnails under my belt, and notes, and mindmaps, am I ready to move big? I'm going to have to think about my composition before I do that. It's a lovely barn, but it's a bit plonked there in these thumbnails, isn't it? And I need to think about what I want to draw attention to - in my mind it's the gorgeous green colour of these barn doors, but what about all the reflected light? What's your favourite of the 4?

And by the way, I have painted these from a photo I took in Saint André de Roquelongue, a lovely village in the Corbières region. It's a big wine-producing area, and you will find these big barns in every town, and will be amazed when you see the farmers reversing into these with their tractor and trailer - the streets are not wide!

And also, don't expect to see any people in these paintings - the villages are so quiet you could film a zombie movie without any problem! I don't know if that's because they're all working in the fields or in the city? Or that there is nothing to do in the evenings? But when you meet someone, you have to acknowledge them with a bonjour or bonsoir. I bet everybody in Montséret (population 600) knew who we were - well, my name was displayed for all to see behind the counter in the local grocery store, as I had reserved a baguette for every morning of our two-week holiday!






And if you're interested in what goes on inside my head, there you go!




No comments:

Post a Comment