Sunday, August 11, 2024

Sketches from my trip to Belgium

As my mother is sleeping more and more, I stayed with her from 10 in the morning until about 3 in the afternoon. There was no point in staying until 5. Which gave me a bit of time to enjoy the lovely weather in Brussels, mostly from my hotel window. I did also walk down to the Grand Sablon near the city centre and stood between a tree and a bin to draw these gorgeous Belgian houses, including one built in 1567!


I had brought my mini Art Toolkit watercolour palette with me and I did a wash on a page in my sketchbook, and sketched the view from the hotel window. It's strange. I didn't feel like going around the streets of Brussels at all. Maybe it was too hot? Or just too busy. I never feel like I belong in Brussels. It's over a year since I was in my hometown (Dessiner Namur, organised by the wonderful people of Urban Sketchers Belgium). I actually miss Namur. Brussels just isn't home.


Looking at clouds from the window and swatching the colours. Of course I didn't keep track of the mixes, but it's a small palette, so I should be able to reproduce some of the grey mixes. As I want to explore warm greys in my clouds!






Also, I did draw my mother while she was sleeping. I'll just share her hands.


No comments:

Post a Comment