Friday, June 02, 2023

Road through the woods - evening light

As you've seen in my previous posts, this one didn't come naturally to me. I had 3 ugly-duckling attempts before I figured out what I needed to do to show the light coming through along the road and through the trees. I really has to simplify in order to focus on the light. I get distracted by colour. So I reduced my palette to two colour: Hansa Yellow Medium, because that's the yellow that gives me my lightest light (I tried 6 different yellows!), and Shadow Violet, which is a mixed pigment. It contains Viridian, Pyrrole Orange and Ultramarine Blue, so it separates beautifully when diluted, and gives the impression of more colour variety. I added a touch of Pyrrole Orange near the location where the light hits. And I'm calling it done. It's not how I normally paint, but it was good to explore a transparent approach.



No comments:

Post a Comment