Monday, July 13, 2020

More rocks

Welcome to my new obsession! I may not be as methodical as I need to be, but I am certainly not afraid of exploring things that I find difficult. Attempt 1, Attempt 2, Attempt 3. And then these 3 little beauties. 

So what really worked for me was the idea of reducing the variables that I picked up from the USkTalks with the Engineers (episode 15, it's not up yet, but it will be soon!). Plus learning about values from Uma Kelkar's workshop. And painting water with Shari Blaukopf!. So I definitely have the discipline to learn new skills, and practise them!

I find it hard to paint a scene with water gushing through rocks, so rather than trying to paint the whole scene, I reduced it to just a few rocks and a little bit of water. 
So, what worked? 
  1. Well, working smaller certainly helped, so it's not a race against time with drying paint! (these 3 pieces fitted on a quarter sheet)
  2. Really light value for the top of the rocks and the water, 
  3. Using a dry brush for the side of the rocks where the water rushes, 
  4. Painting the darks first, one by one, and then for each, adding the light surface when the dark is still damp so that there is a bit of softness at the junction of the two surfaces
  5. Keeping a sliver of white paper above the topmost rock where it catches the light
  6. Bloodstone Genuine at a very light value is perfect for rocks - the clue is in the name! Plus a little bit of Cobalt blue or Lavender for a cooler version, or a little bit of Monte Amiata Natural Sienna for a warmer touch
  7. Some light Cobalt blue for water in shade
  8. A touch of gouache, but not too much
  9. Little horizontal dashes in a slightly darker value in the flat water, but not too many
  10. Rinse and repeat (and you will see in future posts what happens when I don't follow my own advice!!)



No comments:

Post a Comment