Friday, October 26, 2018

The overhead wires

Back home after a long trip, it always takes me a while to get back into my groove. So, rather than leaving the memories behind, I'm going to try to use some of my sketches as the foundation for more finished works. My goal is to do five, but I'll probably get distracted by something else in no time. So, we'll see how it goes!

This one was a sketch of overhead wires (I wanted to call this The Power Lines, but I'm not sure they're all power - they could be telephone, internet, TV?) on a street in Nara, Japan. I know, I know, so much beauty and history all around me, and what do I choose to sketch? I can't help what I find interesting! Done while standing on a street corner for 10 minutes before heading back to the bus station for our coach to Kansai airport! (The bus trip was so much more relaxing than taking the train!)

I was happy with the initial sketch, but then I messed it up by adding coloured pencil. I've tried to erase it, but it's not working, so I'll have to live with it. I didn't take a picture of it before adding the coloured pencil.














The next stage was to draw it again from photo and sketch, and add ink.






















I was happier with the plain grey one.






















Then I decided to try to do an ink and watercolour version, using what I learned with Shari Blaukopf in terms of painting the walls and adding shadows (it was a dull day so I had to make them up!). This is my favourite so far.





















I'm currently trying a Jane Gray style version, but my drawing wasn't brilliant to start with - it lacked shape and focus. And I think I've added too much watercolour pigment. Plus I forgot the idea to only use colour in the area of interest. Back to the drawing board, literally.









Will I try another style? I could do a Marc Taro Holmes direct watercolour version? Well, there's an idea now.

No comments:

Post a Comment