Wednesday, June 20, 2018

View from upstairs

I'm still doing the 30x30 direct watercolour challenge. There's over 2500 people participating in the challenge all over the world. It's pretty exciting, and a little overwhelming. Basically the aim is to paint something directly in watercolour, with no pen or pencil drawing, every day. Needless to say, some days work out better than others.

Unlike urban sketching, you can work from a photo. Which is handy. This is the view from our bedroom window. I took the photo a few weeks ago - I love dramatic skies! I should really go to the West of Ireland - best sunsets in the world!

The one disadvantage of working from a photo is that you paint what you think things should look like, rather than how they are - the tree must have green leaves, the roof must be red. The reality, with the rose glow of the sky, was more pink everywhere!!

2 comments:

  1. There's a bed here on Lamb's Head if you decide to do that!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Cathy, sorry for not replying to your comment sooner. Somehow I've only just seen lots of comments I've missed. Yes, I would love to go to the West now, although the weather is probably not great at this time of the year.

      Delete