Saturday, April 14, 2018

Court House

Fantastic sketch crawl with Dublin Sketchers last Sunday. On the Bloomsday theme. With a synopsis of the action for each location and a reading of excerpts.

The morning had been beautiful, with sunshine and light breezes. We were hopeful. But the first shower hit within half an hour. I just had enough time to deploy an umbrella to protect my sketch - waterproof ink will smudge if water hits it within the first few minutes of drawing. I donned my super-elegant rain poncho and moved directly to the next location, where I found a coffee shop and stayed warm for about an hour. (More about that in the next post).

Anyway, the location for this sketch is near the corner of Little Britain Street and Green Street, at the back of Capel Street, just North of the markets. It's not the most salubrious part of town, and I was glad to have other sketchers nearby. The looks from passersby were not the friendliest. Not hostile, but not "what are you doing here, it looks really interesting" either. So, for me anyway, a location where I would not be comfortable sketching on my own. Which is a shame, as there are some really interesting buildings around.

I didn't get very far in the sketch on location. But I was glad of what I had learned in Liz Steel's Buildings online course. In the time I had, I had managed to measure and draw the big shapes and proportions, plus the pillars that give the building, an old courthouse, its rhythm, plus some of the details in pencil. And start my pen work. Enough to be able to finish it at home, with the help of a quick photo.




"And they beheld Him in the chariot, clothed upon in the glory of the brightness, having raiment as of the sun, fair as the moon and terrible that for awe they durst not look upon Him. "

No comments:

Post a Comment