Wednesday, May 13, 2015

A cuppa and a healthy snack





After saying I hate drawing food because I would rather eat it warm, I thought there is one thing that I  always let cool down before I touch it - my cup of tea!

So I set up a little still life of green tea, pistachio nuts and walnuts, using one of my favourite mugs, a little plate from Japan and two gorgeous pink umbrella snack plates I got as a birthday present last year.

I picked up an old sketchbook and started drawing, following the contour, and using negative space to figure out how it all connected.

Then I added watercolour. And it looks more three-dimensional than I had hoped. The paper in this sketchbook is not great for a watercolour wash, so I should not have added layers of colour to the shadows, but it kind of works anyway. Next weekend, I'll try something similar on proper watercolour paper and see what happens. 

PS: I dipped my watercolour brush in my tea - twice - and drank it anyway!




No comments:

Post a Comment