Sunday, July 28, 2013

Gelli Geisha 1

Another Gelli print. Artistcellar stencils, masking with a cutout of this lovely geisha I found on the Internet, then re-applied another cutout of the same lady. I didn't glue it, I just placed it on top of the print and took a photograph. Maybe that's cheating a little bit, but I was afraid the paper would buckle with the glue.

I didn't take note of where I found the woodblock print of the geisha, and now it's going to bug me. I like to acknowledge my sources, but it's months ago since I found this one, so it's not going to be easy to trace its origins again!

- Here we are - It was a postcard I got from a friend - it's called "Evening Snow", by Kunisada, from the "Eight Scenes of Edo" series

3 comments:

  1. Anonymous7:30 pm

    I have a postcard with that same image. let me check when I get home an see if says anything about the artist (that I can read!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Anonymous. That would be fantastic!

      Delete
    2. When you said "postcard", I had a feeling that's where I'd found that print too - It's called "Evening Snow" by Kunisada, from a series named "Eight Scenes of Edo".

      Delete