Friday, May 10, 2013

Single Tree

Just to give you an idea where I've been coming from with my previous post. I think this tree here, warts and all, looks better than the one in my finished painting. The top is too spidery, but the bottom half is quite convincing. So why did I go all abstract shapes? I thought it was a good idea at the time! 

But I don't really know what visual effect I'm after, so it's hard to know how to progress this. Generally, my better paintings have been ones where I have made the shapes simpler, so I thought I should explore that further, rather than try to go all naturalistic (I don't have the patience for naturalistic anyway!). But on the other hand, this little tree here to the left worked out ok. 

So, which way to go? I really don't know. All I know is that failed paintings are not good for the soul. And I haven't had a success in a while...


No comments:

Post a Comment