Thursday, August 25, 2011

More movies

So much to do, so little time. Here are a few more movies we've watched over the last couple of months:

In the Loop - a bit like Yes Minister, really.  Follows a minister in the British government as he is manipulated by events, by his American counterparts and by the so-called advisors, in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq by American and British forces. Very funny, except it's probably closer to the truth than you'd like, exposing the bargaining and manipulation that goes behind closed doors, and how egos, rather than policy, drive major decisions.

Revolutionary Road - with Kate Winslet and Leonardo DiCaprio. I had read somewhere when it first came out that you'd be better off reading the book than watching the movie. Well, I did both, and found both excellent. The movie is a close match to the book, and it captures the look and feel of the era perfectly (Well, I wasn't born, so I can't say really!). Loved it.

Recount - the story of the how Al Gore didn't become President of the United States. I wouldn't have thought that a film about the legal battles that raged after the election would have held my attention. But it did. Really interesting stuff. And really scary too, how lawyers can manipulate the outcome of an election. Recommended.

Quantum of Solace - James Bond. I just remember that it wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. But that's it. So it can't have been that good. And I still have no idea what the title means, though it's been explained to me.

I have a few more movies to review, but we're getting through the list!

No comments:

Post a Comment