Monday, January 03, 2011

The Road from Kaikoura

This is my current work in progress. What you are looking at is a Picasa collage of a Photoshoped watercolour. I love Technology!

As you can see, my trees worked out really well - despite the fact that the masking fluid tore the paper to bits when I removed it. It's a rough paper with a very prominent texture, so I should have guessed. But I used fairly thick paint for the foliage, and the torn bits of paper actually add character - just as well I wasn't planning on painting a very delicate wash.

Once I had the trees done, the front hill just wasn't looking right. It looked too pale against the golden middle ground. But I knew I would only get one shot at getting it right. I remembered Shirley Trevena saying that in a situation where she wasn't sure what colour to use, she would place magazine clippings on top of the area to help her decide what exact shade to pick. Well, I don't have a collection of magazine clippings in various shades of green, but I have Photoshop, so I took a picture of my work in progress, brought the image into Photoshop and painted various greens in until I was happy with the result. While I was at it, I tried out a few different skies.

After that, the Picasa collage was only a few clicks away.

No comments:

Post a Comment