Thursday, January 27, 2011

Let the Great World Spin

It's months since I finished reading this book. At this point, I'm a bit vague on the detail - I could start reading it again then. If my brain today is any sign of the future, I will probably be able to read the same book every other week and not have a single memory of it. Life will be very simple then!

Colum McCann's Let the Great World Spin is a collection of interconnected short stories (a bit like Raymond Carver's Short Cuts) where people's lives criss-cross while a tightrope walker glides back and forth between the Twin Towers in New York.

It took me a while to get into it, as the connections are tenuous to start with, but, as they get stronger and stronger as the story unfolds, the book grows on you, and is then hard to put down. It's solid, substantial, it feels like a book that matters. Yes, I will read it again. Not because I've forgotten the detail, but because it's a good read.

No comments:

Post a Comment