Saturday, November 13, 2010

Silent Crossing

I'm way behind on book reviews these days. To the point where I'm having difficulty remembering much detail about some of the novels I've read over the last few months. I'm going to try anyway.

The first of the series is Silent Crossing, by Ellen McCarthy. It was a complete impulse buy in Hughes & Hughes in Dundrum Town Centre. It was 50% off, and the cover was attractive - that's marketing for you - that bright green definitely worked for me!

I enjoyed it, but it's not the kind of book I would normally read - it was a bit of a thriller really, and some parts were spooky enough. It's a clever story, with plenty of twists, and I can see it as a movie all right.

It starts with a tragic car crash, and then jumps 16 years later, when the main protagonist, Melanie, walks into a Garda station with her hands covered in blood, and starts telling the guards a disturbing story. The lines between perceptions and reality are completely blurred - Melanie's slow recollection of the events brings up more questions than answers.

It is described by the Irish Independent as "A chilling page-turner". That sums it up. For me, it's the "chilling" part that put me off. It's a very good story, but I'm just not into dark lonely houses on windy nights, with strange noises and shadows.

No comments:

Post a Comment