Friday, April 23, 2010

Flight Radar 24

This is a web site that was probably only visited by geeks and plane spotters. But now that it got a mention on the news, www.flightradar24.com has probably seen its hit count rocket way up. Plenty of planes in the skies today - around Europe at least. I'm just looking at it now, and it's not showing anything over the East Coast of the US. I'm seeing a few over the West Coast. I'm not sure if it's a glitch? Hopefully the ash cloud from Eyjafjallajokull hasn't reached the US!


I guess we must be geeks: last Tuesday (I think it was Tuesday - the week went so quickly), we followed the progress of flight EIN2767 carrying passengers from the Canaries, as it was approaching Shannon and landed just about 19:15.




While browsing for pictures of that volcano (I'm not going to try to type its name again), I found an interesting blog: http://blogs.nature.com/news/thegreatbeyond/. It's a blog of news about nature and science in general. I've spent the last 20 minutes or so browsing through it and I thought you might like it too.


I found this article in the Telegraph with photos of the Northern Lights near the volcano. Stunning images, so that's where I got the picture for this post!

1 comment: