Friday, December 14, 2007

Turandot - the teeth

Remember in one of my recent posts, I mentioned that the Italian singer who played the part of Turandot herself in the Opera Ireland production had a peculiar way of singing, opening her mouth high and wide, and showing her teeth - not very attractive.

Well, I have actual footage of this, in case you didn't believe me.

I found this clip on the RTE website. An arts program presented by John Kelly (of JK Ensemble fame, on Lyric FM), called The View, had the artist in the studio, and she sang one of the key pieces from the opera. This link will bring you to the website, where you just need to scroll down to the last section of the program, called The Performance, then click on Watch the clip to see what I'm talking about. You will need Real Player installed on your computer to see it I think.
I'm not sure how long RTE are keeping these archives on the website, but the earliest one is from 2001, so this link should stay live for a good while yet.

Not for the faint-hearted ...

No comments:

Post a Comment