Monday, March 20, 2006

Li Bia Bouquet


At the weekend, the conversation came around to National Anthems. (I can't remember why it got around to this fascinating subject - maybe we were watching the Ireland-England rugby match on the telly).





Here are a few facts about me:
  • I recognise the Irish National Anthem no problem (but I don't know the words).
  • I know the first few words of the French National Anthem.
  • I have no idea what the Belgian National Anthem sounds like or what the words are... Somehow, it was never taught while I was in school.
  • But I am proud to say I can sing Li Bia Bouquet's full refrain, and first verse in Walloon. I'm not sure if it's sung throughout Wallonia, or if it just the official Namur song, but I will sing it if you ask me nicely.
Here are the words (along with a picture of one of the 40 Molons):
Refrain :

C'est d'mwin li jou di m'mariatche,
Aprètez, aprètez tos vos bouquèts,
Vos lès mettroz au cwarsadje,
Dès bauchèles do banquet.
Mins c'èst l'minne li pus djolie
Ossi vraîmint, dji m'rafie
Di li donnér li bouquèt
Elle aurait li bia bouquèt.




Couplets
Ca sti one saquwés d'drôle
L'ote-fi j'aveûve on'crôle
Tot aspoûyi
Dj'allès soki
L'âmour vint m'rewéi.


C'èsteûve mi ptit' Mâriye
Come el'esteûve djolie
Quén embaras
Ca sti c'djoû-là
Qui dj'a siné l'contract.



Adiè totes mès folies
Dj'intèr dins l'confrériye
C'ést-st-à l'ôté
Qui dj-vas djûrer
Amour, fidélité.
C'est d'mwin qui dj'boute àpièce
Adiè tote li djonesse
Po cominçî
D'jî m'vas satchî
A l'cwâde àtot spiyî

For more info about the Molons, go to their website here.

And if you go to this website, you should hear it (except if you're on a Mac, like me)

No comments:

Post a Comment