Thursday, January 26, 2006

More about yoga

I started attending yoga classes many years ago. The first classes I remember were on Pearse Street, in the Library building I think. Either Unn or Lisa told me about it. The teacher was Marlene, a Flemish lady. She was a very good teacher - she gave me a strong foundation. She is supposed to be a bit strange - apparently, she has wolves at her place in Co. Wicklow...
I attended a couple of other classes - one in Bray at some stage, that focused on chanting (I only went to one class!), and another in St Lawrence's school, which was basic, but enjoyable all the same.
Then, a few years ago, I started attending Patricia Murphy's classes in Airfield. The fact that it was so close was a big plus. Even if I was getting home late from work, it was easy to change quickly, get a bite to eat, and still be there in time. At first, I found that Patricia was jumping a bit too much from one thing to another, but once I got into the rythm of her classes, it became addictive. I've been going to her classes for a good few years now, and I would not miss a class for the world. She is down to earth (no mysticism), and she enjoys introducing new angles all the time. She's introduced us to the chakras, to good breathing, to meditation, as well as more dynamic workouts and the importance of a balanced diet. She's always cheerful, and I always feel good after the class.
In the summer of 2004, I went to the Burren Yoga Centre for a week, as part of my sabbatical. I"ll talk about my experience there some other time.

No comments:

Post a Comment