Sunday, November 05, 2023

Trees with background

I love playing with colour. Here I did the fuzzy background with Yellow (De Atramentis document ink) and Prussian Blue (Sennelier ink). I painted the foreground with too much Perylene Green watercolour, which lost me too much light!. Painted the two trees with indigo/plum/green watercolour and a Chinese brush. Then had to try and rescue the foreground. Added lots of yellow ink. Didn't like it, flushed it off the page. When it was all dry, I added lots of Quin Gold, and a Cerulean blue (watercolour), pulled it with water and tried not to touch it then. The trees were inspired by trees I photographed in the South of France. I like to paint with a realistic starting point, but once I start, I don't look at the photo very much!

Also, forgot to say, I sprayed a little bit of water over the dark pine trees, let it settle for a minute, then pressed kitchen paper on top to lift, as I felt my foliage was too dark.


Here is how it looked as a first layer. You can see that the Perylene Green was too dark and was limiting my options. Despite using relatively cheap paper, I was able to flush a lot of it off the page!



No comments:

Post a Comment