Sunday, May 16, 2021

Rooks, crows, ravens

The more I draw them birds, the more I love them. As you can see, I'm trying different techniques and materials. All part of the process of getting to know the shapes and colours and volumes and highlights. I'm actually starting to enjoy watercolour on that card paper. And a brush pen for black highlights. A white gel pen for light highlights. A blue Posca marker for volume. I tried pastels too, but the paper started piling. And did you know that rooks have a diet of mostly small earth worms that only come out when the ground is wet. So they have a technique so that their chicks are not all born at the same time, giving the first chick a better chance at survival in case the weather turns dry and the source of food burrows out of reach deep into the ground - they start incubating the first egg as soon as it is laid! I found this on a Corvid blog somewhere, along with some of the photos I used for inspiration for these drawings! I will try to give photo credits where available!







No comments:

Post a Comment