Monday, May 24, 2021

Ravens and rooks are large birds - is it time for me to move to bigger paper?

I still have a good few pages to fill in that Two Rivers pad, but I'm getting frustrated with the small format. It's about A5, or even A6? And as you can see, I'm running out of space for these big birds. In this first example, I managed to sketch across the ring, but you'll see below that in some cases, the lack of space led to serious proportion issues - big head, small body, not good!! Still, I want to complete this book, so I think I will move to details. At this point, I feel I have a good grasp of the shapes. PS: all of these were done from photos on the internet. But when I finally move to a painting, I will need to find my own photos to work from. Thankfully, I'm married to a good photographer! And I know where to find rooks. Ravens, not so sure in this part of the country. But I do like rooks, so that's all right.

 








Big Head, Small Body, Not Good!





No comments:

Post a Comment