Thursday, April 04, 2024

Simpler is better

Simpler is better, but when I see them in little thumbnails on the screen, I do like the messy versions too! 

I worked from a Google photo this time, from the same spot more or less where I had taken a photo myself, but the Google camera showed the lengths of rocks to my right better. I decided to work with indigo and perylene maroon (both Holbein watercolours), but there were other red pigments in my palette, so it could be anything! Initially, I felt these two were too messy, with too many scribbles. But they've grown on me, particularly the second one.

 

For these two, I flipped the image and used indigo, neutral tint and burnt umber, I think. I worked wetter, pulling the paint with a wet brush, and dropping clear water above the dark paint and letting gravity do its work. They are flat images, but I really like them both.




No comments:

Post a Comment