Tuesday, April 02, 2024

O'Connell Street and GPO

I don't know why I feel the need to apologise or explain myself, but I have made the decision to sketch what I want to sketch. It sounds ridiculous, I know. But when we have a theme for sketching, it feels, I don't know, disrespectful? to sketch something else. I tried for weeks, but the more I learn about myself, the more I realise that I need to do what I want to do. I cannot all of a sudden develop an interest for something. Sometimes, I'm really interested in what someone else has chosen. Sometimes I'm not. And there is nothing wrong with that. But there is something really wrong in forcing myself to sketch something I'm not interested in. I can't believe it's taken me that long to figure this out!

So, on this occasion, I was really interested in the tree in front of me, so I drew the tree. And then when we went to the GPO café, it was the Irish letter boxes. There are a good few more on display, including some GR (Georges Rex) and possibly VR (Victoria Regina) ones. Yes, when Ireland became independent, we simply painted over the red British letter boxes!



No comments:

Post a Comment