Saturday, December 30, 2023

Post-Christmas sketching

The Stephen's Green Shopping centre was never my favourite building. It looks like a Mississippi River boat that lost its way. I don't remember what was there before. Probably when I first arrived in Dublin in the early eighties, it was a vacant lot of some sort. So anything was better than nothing. But now there's talk of replacing it with an ultramodern block. And offices. Like we need more offices and hotels in the city centre!! The café was a perfect location for sketching the entrance to St Stephen's Green. I always chose a different view. This time, it was the lights hanging from the ceiling that caught my attention, and that group of four young people. From where I was, I couldn't quite catch what language they were speaking. Maybe Russian? Enjoying the good life in Dublin while avoiding military service? Who knows? If they were my children, I probably would send them away somewhere safe too.

 


No comments:

Post a Comment