Tuesday, December 05, 2023

Dead Zoo

A good few of our sketchers got given out to for using watercolours in the Natural History Museum. It makes no sense - all the exhibits are behind glass. And we're always so careful not to cause any damage or obstruction. But the manager on duty was not happy, apparently, and even told sketchers they couldn't use the chairs! Don't understand it. We've been going there for years and were always made to feel welcome. We just blend into the background with our sketchbooks and everybody is happy, particularly the children, who love to look at our drawings! 

But I had no trouble, despite using watercolours in a large sketchbook. I did find a discreet spot, it has to be said, completely out of the way, whereas some sketchers were spreading their gear on top of the cabinets (not the brightest thing to do!). I blended so well into the background that I became part of the attractions, with some tourists taking pictures and even filming me!!

I got so taken in by the display that I forgot to draw the cabinet around it, so it's not really an urban sketch, but hey, it was done on location, from direct observation, and if you notice that I have sketched both above the water line and below, you will agree that I'm telling the story of the display!





No comments:

Post a Comment