Friday, December 15, 2023

National Gallery, and a portrait that will not make it to those walls!

We went to the National Gallery to look at the Zurich Portrait Prize shortlisted pieces, as one of our friends, Marie Lemen, is one of the shortlisted artists. She did a fantastic watercolour portrait of Sean Hillen. I was a bit disappointed to see that half of the shortlisted entries were photographs. I love photography. My husband is a street photographer. But I think it should be a separate category. How do you compare photography and painting when deciding on who wins the overall prize?

I sketched for a little while, focusing on visitors to the gallery who were looking at The Rape of Europa . I didn't know the title until I had finished my sketch. But I thought it worked in my current mood. But I couldn't focus for very long, so left it with just colour pencil drawing. I added watercolour at home.

Then I went to the café and sketched Pat. He's always a willing subject. He's been sketched dozens of times by many sketchers at this stage.






No comments:

Post a Comment