Tuesday, February 21, 2023

Mountains in Beara

It's a good while since I painted the monochrome versions of this view. I can't find them on my blog right now, but it doesn't matter. They're there somewhere. For someone to see long after we're all gone!!

I should probably have done more flow exercises before I tackled this again, particularly as I was using pigments that I'm not completely familiar with! I used some Schmincke granulating pigments - galaxy brown and desert yellow, along with some cobalt blue and other more familiar pigments. 

The big lesson?? Know your pigments well before you use them for a sky!! 

And lesson 2 - these granulating pigments work better in an abstract landscape than in a traditional one!

And lesson 3 - don't have two mountains the same height

And lesson 4 - decide what I want to paint - the mountain on the left? the one on the right? or is it the clouds? Despite writing down a plan, I hadn't worked that one out properly!!

You'd think I'd know all of that by now!!





No comments:

Post a Comment