Friday, October 30, 2020

Rocks and waves

As I got frustrated with the field and the tree, I moved to rocks and waves. And as you can see in a previous post, maybe a change is all that I needed. Before I moved to the quarter sheet , I did a few watercolour thumbnails in my sketchbook. The granulation in the sketchbook is always more interesting that on the sheet. Well, it's different paper. And the big question is will I be able to reproduce the effect in a larger format. Practise Practise!!

And by the way if you want to observe spectacular waves, the best place to go is Clogher Beach (near the Louis Mulcahy pottery), between Dunquin and Ballyferriter. If there is any swirl at all in the ocean, the waves come crashing at an angle against the rocks and I could watch them for hours. I must go back to the videos I filmed and do screen shots so I can study the waves in more details! They are such a challenge to paint. I haven't found the right formula for me yet - masking, gouache, working carefully, working wet in wet? Too many choices. I want something that looks like a wave, but yet has an abstract quality!









No comments:

Post a Comment