Wednesday, October 07, 2020

Repurposed kimono and obi!

A million thanks to my wonderful friend Máire who managed to make this beautiful dress out of my kimono.

Like most women who go to Japan, I bought a kimono. I was with Véronique and she knew this wonderful second-hand kimono shop in Hamamatsu. I was reluctant at first but she insisted I couldn't come to Japan and not buy a kimono. And there was this beautiful silk one with a simple modern pattern and I couldn't resist. A few days later, I bought a second-hand obi in Tokyo. But of course I never wore them, except once at home to take a few photos. And it sat in my wardrobe for all those years (2011, the year of the big Tohoku earthquake and tsunami).

So I decided something needed to be done. My friend Máire did fashion in NCAD and she is involved in theatre in Sligo, often making the costumes for the plays she's working on. I knew she would be the best person to take on this project. I found a dress I liked on a Japanese website and she adapted a pre-existing pattern to create this beautiful dress.

Now I just need restaurants to re-open so I can parade it somewhere outside of our backyard! 




I did manage to find a few pictures of me wearing the kimono. I know there's a video somewhere of the shop assistant showing us how to put on the obi. I will find it some day!



No comments:

Post a Comment