Wednesday, July 25, 2018

First night in Porto

The view from my window (3rd floor). And now I understand why urban sketchers who live in these sunny places use black ink for shadow and white for surfaces in the sun (this building is actually a lovely shade of pistachio green). One Spanish artist was actually getting frustrated when the sun went in. Giggle by students from Ireland and Luxembourg, where we have to "imagine" the shadows!

Perfect location. Not far from the station (I actually never made it inside the station to admire and sketch the amazing blue tiles - you have to leave something for next time!)
15 minutes walk from the hub. Lots of shops and restaurants nearby. And you can get back to the block without having to face the really steep roads.

Vegetarian dinner at DaTerra, literally the same building as my apartment. Noisy, but good value, all-you-can-eat buffet. And delicious juices. My favourite was Eddy Veggie (and I was corrected for my pronunciation by the waiter, twice)

Cosy bed. Streets are noisy, but good windows and shutters keep the noise at bay. It got a bit hot though, so I had to use the fan, which I blame for my sore throat and coughing. No air conditioning. Which is ok if you have time to get back to your apartment before dinner and you open the windows. But my schedule was pretty hectic so I only managed to do that once.

Very nice kitchen. I used the fridge and the kettle only, but it had everything you might want. And there is a little supermarket nearby.

1 comment: