Saturday, July 28, 2018

Celebrity Urban Sketcher shots

It may be very strange to them, as they are normal people like you and me, but Urban Sketcher instructors are the rock stars of our world-wide community! And it must be weird when someone like me asks how was your flight out of the blue when you've never met me - but that's what happens when you put your life online - it brings people closer. Which is wonderful, but also somewhat one-sided, in that you know nothing of me, and I seem to know a lot about you. Anyways, apologies to Paul Heaston if he thought it was odd to have me barging in to say Hi when you were peacefully walking down the street with your friend Lapin! It was the first day. I was excited to meet my heroes in the flesh! And imagine the extra level of excitement when I turned around and Veronica Lawlor was there, right beside me - well I think I managed that interaction a little better, as I'd done Veronica's class "A drawing a day" on Sketchbook Skool not long ago, and I actually had something to talk about!

My husband was concerned I would get too enthusiastic, and that all people would think when meeting me would be 'Kathy Bates in Misery'! First of all, let's establish that I have no violent tendencies, and I don't live all alone, and I am quite sane. Yes, I get over-enthusiastic about things I love, and I do sometimes make inappropriate comments. Asperger's runs in the family after all - but I consider myself only mildly on the spectrum.

So by the time I got to meet Liz Steel on day 1 of the Symposium, I was quite normal! And once Deb said that I was with her, my credentials were established and we were able to have a really nice conversation! I did get a selfie with Liz, and Pat was good enough to take a few pictures while we were talking! Wow, Day 1, and I'd already met my hero!

Another day, Gabi Campanario, founder of Urban Sketchers, walked past us and Pat and Deb chatted to him. Pat took this lovely photo. Gabi took a selfie with us too, but I haven't found it on his social media pages yet.







OK, this one is not a celebrity shot per se, but Paul Wang actually took a picture of my sketch (from Shari Blaukopf's workshop), so I was really chuffed.

And this one is Uma Kelkar and me, holding her painting, which I successfully bid for in the silent auction at the end of the symposium. I had loved that painting the moment I saw it, which was a few weeks ago in the #30x30directwatercolor2018 Facebook group. I didn't realise then quite how large it was, so I was smitten the moment I saw it at the auction. The first person had bid €10 only, which was ridiculous. So I increased the bid. I had to go back in 3 times I think to secure it. In the end, it got personal - but I didn't go beyond the number I had at the back of my mind, and I still think I got a great bargain. And I managed to bring it home safely - great quality watercolour paper and good packing advice from a number of people!

2 comments:

  1. I am so glad you got the painting - each painting wants to be fallen in love with and if you did, you were the rightful owner. I felt celebrated when you asked to take a picture - may be when that repeats, celebrities don't find that funny or endearing, but for me, it was very flattering. Cheers,

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I fall in love with your painting every single day - it hangs over our bed. Every day I see something different in it. I got special UV resistant glass for the framing and I close the curtains if the sun is too strong! And I look forward to meeting you again in Amsterdam - I will actually be doing your workshop!! I am so looking forward to it!

      Delete