Monday, June 26, 2017

Bloom finds himself accused of giving photographs to the ladies


Another day, another style.
I was given this beautiful postcard by one of the artists, Frank Kiely, who is a print maker. He was in character as Leopold Bloom for the 4 days, while sketching. I had read the passage about Bloom being accused of sending dirty photos to ladies, and it popped to my mind straight away. So I decided to use the postcard in that context. It made for an easy page in my sketchbook, more scraptbook than fine art. A little bit cheeky. But then, that's what Ulysses is all about, isn't it?

The little square/circle in the top right prompted a whole conversation about monoprinting, another of my passions.

"THE HONOURABLE MRS MERVYN TALBOYS: ... Also me. Because he saw me on the polo ground of the Phoenix park at the match All Ireland versus the Rest of Ireland ... This plebeian Don Juan observed me from behind a hackney car and sent me in double envelopes an obscene photograph, such as are sold after dark on Paris boulevards, insulting to any lady. I have it still."

No comments:

Post a Comment