Monday, October 27, 2014

The Documented Life Project - Week 37

Week 37 challenge - Use white pen prominently

It's hard to find a good white pen. Last Christmas, I got a few as Christmas presents and I've been testing them since. My two favourites are the Uniball Signo and the Sharpie. Actually, I didn't need extensive testing to figure that out - my first sample on black paper was all I needed.

I went all over the place with this challenge.

I picked a really colourful background to start with, with the facing pages displaying warm and cool tones. A pity I can't find the gelli print in which I used those colours.

Then I selected a green and red gelli print that I thought would go well with the cooler side of the journal pages - the mistake I made was that it is never seen beside that page, being on the wrong side of the flap. Maybe I should detach the washi tape and apply it the other way round? I'll think about it when I get to journal on that page (that's not until the 1st of December). I looked for a nice drawing that would work in white - I picked a sketch I did a few years ago, of a chrysanthemum, a good flower for the season - it's the flower we put on our graves on the 1st of November.

I hadn't planned on putting anything on the reverse of the flap. But then I came across this amazing painting that will be shown by the Olivier Cornet Gallery at the Vue exhibition at the RHA this week. On his facebook page, Olivier had cropped this painting by Eoin Mac Lochlainn, "What I've seen", and I found it so striking, I had to collage it onto my page. I was further inspired by Michelle Byrne and Olivier's grand uncle, François Bost. (For information on Michelle Byrne's process, have a look at this page on her website. I love her work. Also, make sure to read Cathy Dillon's essay on the exhibition, entitled "A Terrible Beauty")

That's when I called it done!











No comments:

Post a Comment