Monday, September 05, 2011

Abstract Acrylics

Struggling a bit with my paintings these days. I've been playing with colours and layering techniques in acrylics, but nothing worth keeping. I was trying to develop a theme from my Jungle Fever painting, but the colours I chose for the top layer were just too dark, and absorbed all the light. A further contributing factor was the heaviness of the canvas - the paint settled into it and couldn't be lifted sufficiently to show the vibrant underlayer.

Lessons learned:

  1. if you're planning to lift paint, work on paper or very fine canvas.
  2. don't use a grey or brown for your top layer - it will suck the life out your painting.
  3. paint over it all with gesso and start again






(PS: they actually look better here than in real life, but you get the idea)

No comments:

Post a Comment