Saturday, June 04, 2011

Things you don't feel at home every day - aftershocks

We were just about to come out of the Imperial Palace East Gardens. We were consulting our map to figure out if we could walk to Ginza. When I felt slightly dizzy. But then realised it wasn't me, it was the ground beneath my feet. It only lasted a few seconds. Everybody stopped. Then everybody got under way again as if nothing had happened. That was my first earthquake ever. We experienced another two during our stay - one of which I slept through, except to wake up for a second thinking that Brendan had said something to me. The third one was on our last night. 9:12 pm. We were in bed watching Japanese television with simultaneous interpretation. It felt like the ground was rolling. A second or two into it, it was already on the news - a 4 on the Richter scale, but with minimum damage. VĂ©ronique had told us that whenever she felt an earthquake, she always turned on the television straight away, as they have an alert system that immediately kicks into effect. At least, I knew I didn't need to go and hide under a desk with a pillow over my head!

No comments:

Post a Comment