Saturday, June 18, 2011

Le Comte Ory

I think it was in early April that we went to see the Met HD production of Le Comte Ory by Rossini. Just as I had expected, it was so much fun. I don't know why people think that Opera is boring or tragic or melodramatic. For me Opera is full of life, vitality (I'm repeating myself here), and can be very entertaining.

The basic story of Le Comte Ory is set at the time of the Crusades. All men have left for the Holy Land, leaving behind their wives and sisters, and a few men like Le Comte Ory who prey on all women. A beautiful countess nearly falls for his tricks (he disguises himself as a hermit first, then as a nun), but then is tricked himself in the most hilarious 3-in-a-bed operatic scene I've ever seen.

I loved the Met production, full of colour and action and fun and wonderful singing. It was a special day for the main singer, Juan Diego Floreza young Peruvian bel canto singer, as his wife had just given birth to their first child that morning. If he was distracted, he didn't let it show. His performance was dazzling, and his facial expressions were pure comic genius. 

I also loved Diana Damrau, in the role of the beautiful countess Adèle.

Rossini comic operas are pure joy, and I'm glad I got to see this one!

Also, a special mention for the gorgeous red wigs for the ladies in waiting

No comments:

Post a Comment