Sunday, June 27, 2010

Goat's Cheese


I was not a big fan of goat's cheese. But this holiday in France has changed my views. At a lunch in Lagrasse, I opted for a salad with warm goat's cheese on French bread. It was heavenly. I asked the waiter what was the name of it. Chèvre de Carrus was what it was. It's a small farm in Mayronnes. I don't think they sell to supermarkets - I asked in the Intermarché in Lézignan-Corbières - the lady at the cheese counter knew it, but she said that they only sell on markets or directly from the farm. We've never been to Mayronnes, but it's on my to-do list for next time, not only for the goat's cheese, but also for its "sentier sculpturel". And we'll definitely have to go and see the goats at the ferme de Carrus. They look so inquisitive and friendly!

After that, I tried a couple others in the supermarket, and enjoyed them - not a bit strong or goaty. One of them got more and more gooey as the days went by. I'm now sorry I didn't write the name down.

And I've had a few different ones since we got back. The nicest was from Morton's supermarket in Ranelagh (not a place I normally shop in, but I was at a customer's in the area, and I had 15-20 minutes to spare while Outlook was archiving - I also got their chocolate mousse - mmm!). Unfortunately, I can't remember what it was called, except it had the word "loup" in it. Which reminds me of "La chèvre de Monsieur Seguin", of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment